Gas Safety Certificate Explained

By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it's your responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property. (British Gas 2016) If you use an agent to manage your property, you need to make sure your contract clearly states in black and white whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances. (British Gas 2016)

What you’ll get with a Gas Safety Certificate:

  • RSL Services Ltd are Gas Safety Registered Engineers and our engineers do the following as part of their Gas Safety Check.
  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • Our Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers' data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance cannot be issued a Gas Safety Certificate.  We will also fit Carbon Monoxide Test Units if requested which are highly recommended by the HSE.

PAT and EICR Testing

Our Trained Engineers can carry out the following electrical tests, advised in the UK in compliance with current Health and Safety Regulations.


An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is an inspection on the condition of an existing electrical installation, to identify (in order of priority) any deficiencies against the national safety standard for electrical installations.

Our trained engineers can also provide PAT tests, which are advisable for all businesses which daily use electrical equipment.